Copying binaries from one machine to another [9.1.1]

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 13 12:14:44 UTC 2001

FWIW
This is kinda kludgey, but I always configure a new version first with
the "--prefix" set to "instdir" at the same level in the source tree as
the original *.gz file (parent of the working source directory).  This
installs all the files there, so I know exactly what will be put in the
"real" system location.  This also allows me to quickly fall back to
previous versions if I need to, by simply copying the requisite files to
the "system" locations (/usr/local", in my case).  (actually, I keep 2
versions installed with a directory symlink pointing to the "current"
directory.  To fall back, I just change the symlink).

However, under BIND9, two of the executables have the "--prefix"
directory name included in the source for the default config filename so
that it becomes "hard-coded" in the binary:

    named
and
    lwresd

So, I go back and re-configure without the --prefix and redo a make for
just those 2 executables and then move them into the "instdir".

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511