Bind 9.1.1 Debug mode

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 13 20:22:00 UTC 2001

    Donald> Can someone just tell me how to put bind 9.1.1 in debug
    Donald> mode.  I know it use to be kill -USR1 <pid> , but when I
    Donald> do that it kills the daemon.

You should *never* send signals to a name server to "manage" it.  For
BIND8, you should use ndc. With BIND9 you must use rdnc. Sending
signals to a BIND9 server will kill the process. Unfortunately
there's no way yet for rndc to turn up the debugging on a running
name server. So if you want to run the name server in debug mode, you
need to specify it as a command line option when starting the name
server. ie "named -d 9".