Bind 8.2.3-T6B crashing

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Apr 14 07:56:09 UTC 2001

    Beric> Hello all.  I'm running Bind 8.2.3-T6B on a FreeBSD
    Beric> 4.2-RELEASE machine.

This is a beta release and vulnerable to attack. Install the actual
8.2.3 release. Better still, upgrade to BIND9.

    Beric> Other than this, I can't see anything that might suggest
    Beric> what the problem could be.  I've searched in the newsgroups
    Beric> and on the web, and I found mention of this sort of problem
    Beric> occurring in releases prior to 8.2.3 (due to active
    Beric> attempts to exploit buffer overflow bugs).  However the
    Beric> information I found suggested that these buffer overflow
    Beric> vulnerabilities were fixed in 8.2.3.

Correct. But 8.2.3-REL is not the same as 8.2.3-T6B. In fact it is
"prior to 8.2.3" and therefore vulnerable. Upgrade. You should not be
running beta-test code after the final release has been made. Nobody
should ever be doing that.

Oh, and don't out nospam nonsense in your email address. This is very
anti-social on a mailing list. It doesn't prevent or reduce spam
either. All you achieve is annoy anyone who wants to reply to you:
like those who try to answer your question. If you want to combat spam
visit http://www.mail-abuse.org.