avoiding inverse mappings

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Sat Apr 14 23:27:21 UTC 2001

> Hello,
>
> thank you for your answer.
>
> > Stop whatever application that is making those lookups from making
> > them. [...] ... sweep of your mail queue ...
>
> You got it exactly right! It always happened when sweeping the queue but I
> didn't notice it as there was an internet connection anyway, but each time
> *a local* mail was sent, sendmail did the inverse lookup:
>
> : Mar 21 15:45:35 router sendmail[460]: gethostbyaddr(192.168.99.1) failed

	Since you are using this address space you should also be
	serving the corresponding in-addr.arpa space.  If you do
	this then your servers won't need to talk to the internet
	to resolve queries in this space.

	Just create a minimal zone at first.  SOA and NS record.
	You can add the PTR records later if you want.

	168.192.in-addr.arpa.db:
	@  3600 SOA ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
		    1 3600 1200 2419200 7200 )
	@  3600 NS ns1.example.com.