newbie question

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Apr 18 18:18:56 UTC 2001

> Hi, I have two newbie questions. Would really appreciate if someone can give
> me some insights.
>
> I read from the man pages for named, the -u and -t chroot() options is only
> applicable on Linux running kernel 2.3.99 or above. Is that true?

I sure hope not!  I'm using -u and -t under HP-UX.  My only problem was
I had to specify my user with the -u option numerically.  I suspect
that there is some shared library missing in my chroot environment.

> Also what are the benefits of rndc, and how do you activate in named script
> in /etc/rc.d/init.d/?

If desired, "rndc" can control a named process on a different machine,
including stoping, reloading, dumps, etc.  The "r" stands for remote.

In your init.d script, to start up named, just execute:

	named -u $USER -t $DIRECTORY ...

To control named from an init.d script, you can use rndc ("rndc stop",
"rndc reload") rather than trying to use signals ("kill -HUP $PID_FILE").

Exactly what you do in an init.d script is up to you.

Bill Larson