DENIC and SOA numbers?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 19 01:29:21 UTC 2001

 Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

>         DENIC have overstepped the mark here.

Was that meant to be a pun?

If they lose customers because of this, they have probably overstepped several
(Deutsch)marks here... :-)

>   All those counter
>         values were reasonable.
>
>                 refresh = 1h
>                 retry = 20m
>                 expire = 60d
>
>         There is a big difference between DE and CHRYSLER.COM.
>         DE is providing public infrastructure.  DE and its
>         subdomains don't have a common corporate relationship.
>         CHRYSLER.COM and subdomains do.

Corporate relationship, political relationship, geographical relationship, what
difference does it make? A delegation of authority is a delegation of authority,
regardless of whether the delegation was made for a "public" purpose or not. It's
not like we're talking attempted Genocide or Crimes Against Humanity here, that
would warrant extraterritorial intervention. Whether DENIC's rules are unduly
burdensome on .de domainholders, is something I'm sure German courts can figure
out on their own. I don't see that this is anything ICANN should have jurisdiction
over.

gTLD's are a different situation, in my mind. International oversight is needed
for those, otherwise registrars can evade the consequences of their actions simply
by playing national-sovereignty and/or -jurisdictional games.

>         If DENIC want to implement sanity checks then they should be
>         sanity checks not arbitary limits which is evidenced from
>         the ranges reported.

I agree that the values were reasonable and DENIC's regulations seem rather
arbitrary, at least the ones pertaining to SOA values.

Our only disagreement, I think, is over whether or not you, or I, or ICANN, has
any say in the matter. I see it as a matter between DENIC and the .de
domainholders it serves, to be decided ultimately by whatever legal authority
(presumably German courts) has jurisdiction to enforce agreements between the
parties.

- Kevin