Resolving both internal and external addresses at the same host.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 19 17:31:54 UTC 2001

No, forwarding isn't going to help you here, since a BIND nameserver never
forwards for a name if it is contained in a zone for which it is
authoritative. When you run split DNS with BIND, you need to maintain the
entries which you want to be visible both externally and internally in
*both* the internal and external versions of the zone. One kludge for making
this a little easier is to run the internal and external master on the same
physical box (either a "two-headed" configuration with different instances
listening to different network interfaces, or a BIND 9 nameserver with
"view"s), and then put the common data into an $INCLUDE file.

- Kevin