new user named?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 20 07:48:57 UTC 2001

    Craig> I am running bind 8.2.3 in a closed network with private
    Craig> IP's.  I had user named and group named set and everything
    Craig> was and is working fine but I was looking at my logs and
    Craig> noticed something funny.

    Craig> Apr 19 05:19:32 rabbit useradd[19068]:new group: name=named, gid=25
    Craig> Apr 19 05:19:32 rabbit useradd[19068]: new user: name=named, uid=25, gid=25, home=/var/named, shell=/bin/false

    Craig> When I checked secure I wasn't logged on.  Also there is NO
    Craig> connection to the Internet in that room.  Is this something
    Craig> that My OS does with Bind.

It has nothing to do with the name server. named doesn't even know that
useradd exists, far less use it. You'll need to find out yourself who
or what is invoking useradd -- whatever that is -- on your system. Maybe
there's some package install manager that's running this? Or perhaps a
user is running useradd?