RFC 2317 technique for in-addr.arpa. delegation

Todd Herr todd at angrysunguy.com
Fri Apr 20 18:41:44 UTC 2001

Greetings,

In Section 9.5 of DNS and BIND version 3, there's discussion of
Subnetting on a Non-Octet Boundary, and a technique developed by a Mr.
Glen Herrmansfeldt, that's now codified as RFC 2317, for delegating at
levels below a /24.

I'm interested in using the technique described there, but I'm wondering
if anyone out there has tried this before?  If so, can you share your
experiences on how it's worked for you, any issues with other sites
being able to resolve against your nameservers, and so forth...

I'm currently running BIND 8.2.3, and I plan to upgrade to 9.1.1 soon,
so I'm particularly interested in hearing about any migration issues
that may exist.

Thanks!

Todd Herr                                         todd at angrysunguy.com