Generic Zone File??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 20 18:51:36 UTC 2001

Joe wrote:

> We have a customer  that has over 10,000 clients using his web site.  They
> connect to their own sites by using   clientdomain.com/username as the URL.
> They would like to allow their clients to register their own domain name,
> using the clients DNS server.  That alone would be pretty easy.  The problem
> is they don't want to have to generate a seperate zone file for each domain.
> IE, they want every domain registered to their server to resolve out to their
> web servers ip. I told them that I didn't  think that it was possible, but
> that I would put it on the list to make sure.  Does any one know of a way to
> do this??

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Could you give an example?

If you have only constant information in all of those zones (e.g. an MX pointing
at mail.xyz.com) or only zone-relative information (e.g. ftp.{domain}.com is
always an alias to www.{domain}.com), or only a combination of constant and
zone-relative information, then you could probably point all of the zone
definitions to the same file, and you'd only have one zone file to maintain.