Generic Zone File??

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Fri Apr 20 19:51:44 UTC 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Bill Larson wrote:

> General question relating to this setup:
>
> The RR for "www" could be an "A" record rather than a CNAME.  Is there
> any major advantage to using one or the other for this purpose?
> Using a CNAME makes changing the server address easier, but will
> require two DNS queries.  Anything else?

Both ways work, and aside from the double query issue when CNAMEs are used
I'm not aware of any functional difference.  However I still prefer to use
CNAMEs, for no other reason than to me it seems more logical and orderly.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.