Generic Zone File??

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Fri Apr 20 20:04:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Joe wrote to Bill Larson:

> Thanks, but I should have been more specific.  They want a ZERO
> maintenance DNS server. So that everyone of their customers that
> registers a domain and uses their DNS servers, it would resolve out to
> their web server.  IE, no zone files, and no entries in named.conf.
>
> I have scripts that will automate the process, generate zone files,
> add the entry to the conf file and HUP named, but they are wanting the
> ZERO maintenance.

Can't be done.  The generic zone file scenario others have already
explained is about as close as you can get.  If you host domains for your
customers then presumably your name servers are authoritative for your
customers' domains.  In order for your name servers to know they are
authoritative for those domains, there must be zone entries for every
domain in each of your name servers' named.conf.  You can add them
manually, or you can automate it with a script, but you must add them.

TANSTAAFL

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.