rndc stats is not Working on Certain Systems.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Apr 23 18:56:26 UTC 2001

	I compiled bind-9.1.1rc5 on a Solaris7 system and
exported the binaries to 2 other Solaris7 boxes and unwittingly
or maybe half-wittedly created the following scenario:

	If I give a rndc stats command on the system where I
originally compiled the code, the command works perfectly.  If I
go to one of the systems that I simply copied all the executables
to, and run this same command, I get

rndc: operation failed: file not found (can't update object)
rndc: stats command failure: file not found

	I don't have any directives in any of the configuration
files so the named.stats file shows up in /var/named on the
system on which it works.  I don't know what file the error
message refers to on the systems where it fails.  I even tried
touching /var/named/named.stats.  That is obviously not the
problem.

	What did I forget to copy or link?

	The two systems in question seem to be running bind with
no other problems.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group