Intentional use of secondary MX record - anyone seen it?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 23 22:47:01 UTC 2001

It's not uncommon for backup MX'es to receive a small proportion of mail. Any
hiccup in the network can cause a timeout trying to connect to the primary
MX and a failover to the backup MX. The fact that you see mail from certain
domains consistently using the backup MX isn't very surprising either, if your
backup MX is on a different network -- probably their outbound routing is
screwed up in such a way that they can't talk to the network on which your
primary MX resides.

Now, if your backup and primary are on the *same* network and you consistently
get messages on the backup MX from certain domains and *never* get messages
from them on the primary MX, I'd start to get suspicious. But, even in that
case, it's possible that it's just a broken SMTP routing implementation.

- Kevin