RFC 2317 technique for in-addr.arpa. delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 23 23:06:53 UTC 2001

Todd Herr wrote:

> I did search the archives (at http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind-users/)
> before posting.  I used 2317 as my search criteria, and got "No matches
> were found for '2317'" in return.  Perhaps I used the wrong criteria.
> Can you, or anyone, suggest the proper one, or a better way to search
> for this issue?

You could try the word "classless" instead. Or look up "2317" in the
MARC search engine (which you can find via the "list archives" link under
"Public Services" on the ISC home page); be aware, however, that MARC may give
you hits on other mailing lists unless you restrict it to the BIND list, and
you may not be able to restrict it that way without limiting yourself to just
searching one month's worth of archives at a time (at least, there was no way
intuitive to me to search *all* of the BIND list archives -- but only the
BIND list archives -- for a particular term).

> In regards to the migration issues part, I suppose I wasn't clear on
> what I meant, and for that, I apologize.  I'm aware that there are
> migration issues in general between 8.2.3 and 9.1.1; what I failed to
> spell out in my original post was that I'm particularly interested in
> hearing about any migration issues in the context of using the RFC
> 2317 technique.

I can't imagine that BIND 9.1.1 would be any different from BIND 8.2.3 in the
context of RFC 2317. It's just CNAMEs to PTR records and
(optionally) delegations, after all, which are fully suported by both versions
of BIND.

- Kevin