nslookup works, ping doesn't

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 24 02:15:44 UTC 2001

Pumpkinhead wrote:

> My windows clients can resolve names using nslookup and ping those machines
> by address but pinging (or requesting web docs) by name fails.  This is the
> case until I go: C:\ipconfig /renew.  Then the situation is corrected, but
> only temporarily (for an hour maybe).  My DNS server is running on Red Hat
> 7.0 (and named 8.2.2-P5).

Turn on query logging and see if the nameserver is actually receiving queries
from the clients. I'm not sure what "ipconfig /renew" does, but I suspect this
is DHCP-related. Maybe nslookup is getting its nameserver configuration
information from a different place (the registry?) than where the DHCP client
software is storing the nameserver config information, and maybe that's why
it's working even when other apps on the machine can't resolve names.