Web URL's use wildcards?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 24 02:20:37 UTC 2001

I don't think you want a wildcard here. That would be appropriate if you wanted
*any* random name under your domain, e.g. asdfqwerty.example.com to resolve to
the same address. If you just want example.com to resolve to an address, then
add an A record for it. You can then convert the "www" entry to be an alias to
that A record, if you wish, or just have two A records resolving to the same
address. Note that you *cannot* have an alias with the same name as your domain
name. That violates one of the fundamental rules of DNS, and modern versions of
BIND will reject the zone if you try it.

- Kevin