Logging Help

frank tanner pctech at mybellybutton.com
Tue Apr 24 16:52:10 UTC 2001

Presumably it SHOULD be writing it in the /var/named directory as I have that directory specified in the directory directive.  The /var/named directory is chowned by the uid and gid that the named process runs as.  I also, as a test, specifically put in /var/named/named.log in the directive and that did not work either.

Here is the ls -la information for the /var directory, specifically named:

drwxr-xr-x    3 named    named        4096 Apr 24 09:48 named

------------------------------
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:02:38AM -0700, frank tanner wrote:

> logging {
>         channel my_file {
>                 file "named.log";
>                 severity dynamic;
>                 print-category yes;
>                 print-severity yes;
>         };
>         category cname { null; };
>         category default { default_syslog; my_file; };
>         category lame-servers { null; };
>         category panic { default_syslog; my_file; };
>         category packet { my_file; };
>         category queries { my_file; };
> };
>
> It SHOULD be logging to a file named named.log.  It's not.  What am I
>doing wrong?  The process named is running as it's own user.  Thank you for
>your assistance.

named.log is where? Can it be written to as the user named is running as?