Newbie Question

Wallace Mills wallm at pcward.net
Wed Apr 25 00:34:28 UTC 2001

Please excuse me if this seems to be a rather simple/basic
question, but I am not very knowledgable with DNS/Bind as of yet
and I am trying to gain the knowledge required to administer our
DNS servers here.

If one had a multihomed unit (2 NICs) with 1 NIC on the public
side and the other on the private side and using a public DNS
with a private DNS (I believe this is termed "split DNS") can
one then have a web server on the private side and allow the
public to see this web server, even though it has a private IP
(say in the 192.168 range). This web server would need to be
able to access the public area and at the same time allow the
public to see it (view the web pages).
The public sides of things would be on Linux (RedHat 6.2 using
Bind 8.x) whilst the private would be based on windoze. I know
this is not a good idea but that is how the powers-to-be want to
try things out.
Any comments, directions to read more about or any information
greatly appreciated. (I have the 3rd edition of DNS and BIND.
Still confused though).
Many Thanks.
--
Wallace Mills