DNS theory

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Apr 25 15:04:16 UTC 2001

Since you are refering to addresses that are part of the 10.0.0.0
network, you must be refering to a private network.  This implies that
you MUST be in direct control of the DNS operations of the domains of
interest.  If you are not in control, then this information would be
provided by the same DNS information that anyone else on the Internet
would obtain, and no one should be advertising Internet-wide DNS
information referencing private IP addresses.

What this means is that you will have to maintain DNS zone information
somewhere for the "bigtest.id" and "bigtest.com" domains, and have "A"
record entries for "webserver.bigtest.ie", "webserver2.bigtest.ie", and
"webserver.bigtest.com".  AND THEN, you will have to have the systems
that will be using this special information point their resolvers to
the name servers that are maintaining your private information.

Be aware that if you do this, you will NOT be able to access the
Internet wide DNS information for these domains, which may be extremely
undesirable.  If you do this, you will most likely want to coordinate
this activity across the whole organization.

Bill Larson