Lame servers and CNAME'd mail servers

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Apr 25 19:20:45 UTC 2001

> My logs are dumping large numbers of lame servers and IN MX points to
> a CNAME.  Is it good or bad form to contact the admin of the machine
> in question?

In general, unless the server is under your control or you know the
administrator personally, this effort would but futile.

But, I would NOT consider this to be "bad form" either.  If you were
to contact me about a DNS problem that I have, I would appreciate
having this pointed out.

> For the Lame server message, the IP in [] is the machine serving the
> lame data correct?

Yes, the IP address that is in the [] should be the IP address of the
lame server.

Bill Larson