datasize limits and crashing in BIND 8.2.3-REL?

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Fri Apr 27 08:34:27 UTC 2001

Hello.

I'm currently in a discussion with someone regarding the behaviour of the
the datasize-option in BIND 8.2.3-REL, and I'm hoping someone here could
give me a clue. ;)

I've read somewhere that the datasize-option will make BIND crash if it
reaches that limit. My understanding is that the datasize is currently only
usable to increase the datasize-limit above the system default and should
not be used to keep the dns-cache below a given size.

The person I'm discussing this with tells me that those BIND-crashes were
fixed sometime in 1999 or 2000 and doesn't apply to BIND 8.2.3-REL.

I've looked in the CHANGES-file for BIND 8.2.3 (grep -i datasize CHANGES)
without finding information about this behaviour.
It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the "DNS and BIND 3rd edition" book by
Albitz & Liu, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned in "The concise guide to
DNS and BIND" by mr. Langfeldt.
Searching for "datasize" on the bind-users mailinglist-archive only seemed
to turn up postings related to older versions of BIND.
And no, I'm not good enough at reading C source-code, so I will probably
not be able to understand the inner workings of BIND that way. ;)

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen