PTR records in forward zone file.

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Fri Apr 27 13:18:29 UTC 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Fabiola Caceres wrote to bind-users at isc.org:

> I have a customer requesting me to add the following entry to teir zone
> file:
>
> ftp				 IN	 A	206.153.168.34
> 206.153.168.34.wichitaeagle.com. IN      PTR     ftp.wichitaeagle.com
>
> Because we don't host the reverse.
> I thought I coudln't add PTR records to a forward zone files...
> I have search the archives with no luck . Please help.
> I also looked in the 2nd and 3rd edition of the O'Reilly (Cricket ) book.

It's a variation on one of the techniques for delegation of in-addr.arpa
space on non-octet boundaries described in DND and Bind, 3rd Edition.  See
pages 215 - 218.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.