Ignoring out-of-zone data

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 27 20:50:17 UTC 2001

    Danny> Hi I am using BIND 9.1.1 to operate my dns server.
    Danny> Recently, when I try to run named-checkzone to verify my
    Danny> zone record, I always get the following output:

    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:20: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:21: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:22: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:23: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:24: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:25: ignoring out-of-zone data
    Danny> dns_master_load: zone.com:26: ignoring out-of-zone data

That's because you're trying to load data for the mediaring.com zone
in a zone file for another zone. [This is what the $ORIGIN line is all
about.] Next time, post the actual file so we see what your name
server sees. Don't edit the file. The "file" you posted appears to be
for zone.com or zon.com, but these zones exist and are quite different
from the stuff you posted. If you want your server to answer for
mediaring.com, create a zone file containing RRs for just that zone
and add a suitable zone{} statement for it to named.conf.