Problems in receiving emails to Multiple Domains.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 27 22:37:19 UTC 2001

Well, technically you don't need an MX at all, if the SMTP destination name
resolves to the address(es) of one or more mail servers which accept mail for that
SMTP destination name, e.g. an MX for example.com is not strictly necessary if an
A query for example.com resolves to all of the mail servers which accept mail for
example.com. But since sending mail servers always do an MX query first, and only
fall back to doing an A query if the MX query comes up empty, then it's more
efficient, lookup-wise, for each SMTP destination name to have an MX, whether it
strictly speaking needs it or not.

It's also possible to use MX wildcards, but many mail servers don't do wildcards
properly, so that's best avoided if you're only dealing with a relatively small
number of destination names.

- Kevin