OT Address Munging (was Re: Another rude user using a bad return address)

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sat Apr 28 15:24:07 UTC 2001

Jim Reid has the right approach IMO.  I encourage you to follow his
advice.

However, if you feel you must falsify your address, here is a FAQ on
Address Munging that may be of some interest:

	This FAQ is intended to be a concise discourse
	on "spam-blocking". Otherwise known as "munging",
	or breaking one's email address, this is usually
	done when posting to Usenet, for the purposes of
	avoiding junk email. It is very important to
	"mung" in ways that minimize possible damage to
	third parties.

But, as Jim Reid suggests, it is better to filter.  Here are some How-To
resources:

1.  http://junk-mail.com/ offers "How to set up popular email programs
to filter out junk mail"

2.  http://digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html is kept current "Figuring
out fake E-Mail & Posts". Rev 20010410 and is very detailed.

Regards,
Jim Griffin