recursive querys to secondary nameserver

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 30 08:24:22 UTC 2001

    Tony> As I recall the protocol, clients make recursive queries to
    Tony> it's local server and that server walks the tree from root
    Tony> making non-recursive queries to other servers. So your
    Tony> external nameserers should not get recursive queries unless
    Tony> someone has misconfigured their client or is trying
    Tony> something funky.

Correct. Which is what I already told you.

    Tony> So, either my primary nameserver is wrong to answer queries
    Tony> with the recurse bit set, or my seconday is wrong to reject
    Tony> these. And I have to contradict you about it having nothing
    Tony> to do with the upgrade or how much attention I'm paying to
    Tony> the logs. The config files haven't changed.

You were the one that implied these unwanted recursive queries were
related to your recent BIND upgrade. I told you they weren't and gave
a couple of suggestions why you thought the two things were related.
Now you seem to be saying that they aren't related after all.