Dynamic Updates or Incremental IXFRs

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 30 21:50:17 UTC 2001

Phil Lefort wrote:

> Can someone who has played with these features tell me which they prefer
> & why?
> I'm using Bind 8.2.3.

You're comparing apples to oranges. IXFR is used to replicate zone data
between masters and slaves. Dynamic Update is used to update data on a
master nameserver from a Dynamic Update client (with slaves possibly
playing a forwarding/proxying function between them).

I seem to recall that there was once a proposal to replace AXFR/IXFR with a
master/slave replication mechanism based on Dynamic Update, but I don't
think that proposal went anywhere...