zonefiles

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 1 01:08:25 UTC 2001

www.hovercrafters.com wrote:

> How do you gain access to the .com, .net, and .org master zonefile list that
> has the list of associated nameservers?

Why do you want this? If you just want to look up individual .com/.net/.org
names on the Internet, you don't need this file -- your nameserver can just
send queries to the .com/.net/.org nameservers and resolve the name based on
the information it gets back.

Unscrupulous spammers have used TLD zonefiles in the past to harvest lists of
victim domains. Hopefully NSI (and/or whomever) is being *very* cautious about
allowing access to those files. Unless you have a legitimate (e.g.
academic/research) need for the files, you shouldn't be allowed to have access
to them. Same applies to me or anyone else. Usually I don't advocate
unnecessary secrecy or the hoarding of information, but I make an exception in
the case of potential spam abuse.