Nameserver question...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 1 23:45:27 UTC 2001

No, you can't use an alias in an NS record (as others have pointed out).

Also, last time I checked, the gTLD registry won't allow you to point two
different nameserver names at the same IP address, so you can't just create
a ns3.mydomain.com A record and point it at the same address as the
ns1.otherdomain.com name, unless mydomain.com is the *only* gTLD subdomain
that is hosted on that box (which seems unlikely).

If the otherdomain.com folks have some free address space, why don't you
just have them configure a virtual interface on their nameserver? Then you
could point ns3.mydomain.com at that address without any conflict.

- Kevin