BIND problem

Will Yardley william at hq.newdream.net
Thu Aug 2 04:07:22 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:45:38PM -0400, David Kirk wrote:
> I realize that the standard convention for serial numbers is to use
> date, as indicated above; I've never been sure, though, what that
> actually gains you.

There's no reason you have to follow this convention; personally I find it
very convenient, since it makes it clear to you (and also to anyone who
happens to be trying to debug a problem) when the last time the zone was
changed / updated.

I have seen it done both ways, but it usually makes sense to do it using the
date.