No Recursion

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 3 02:47:37 UTC 2001

Tim Clark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know how I can stop my bind 9 server from doing recursion on a
> zone level basis?  I want some zones to recurse and others not.

Controlling recursion on a *zone*-level basis is unlikely to be useful: for
any given zone, either you're authoritative for the zone (in which case
recursion is moot since you don't need to recurse to resolve names from it),
or you're not (in which case the global allow-recursion applies). Zone-level
recursion control would only be useful if you wanted *different* sets of
clients to be permitted/denied recursion for different zones, for which you
are non-authoritative. BIND doesn't support this _per_se_, but you probably
could get away with defining each of those zones explicitly, with appropriate
allow-query clauses. Most system resolvers can't distinguish between a
referral response and a REFUSED response anyway...