rndc question

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Fri Aug 3 22:42:38 UTC 2001

> QUESTIONS:
> 1. I *think* 953 is the port that rndc wants to use - is it giving me a
> permission denied because I'm not running named as root? How do I overcome
> this?

	You must *start* named as root, in order to bind to port 953,
	since it is < 1024.  You can still use the -u flag to have
	named continue to run as a non-root user once it has done
	all of it's bindings.

> 2. What is channel 0.0.0.0 - I don't have anything configured like that. Is
> it just residue of the error message, or something I should be concerned
> about?

	0.0.0.0 refers to all interfaces on your box.

> 3. The book says I can use mmencode to create a code, but I don't have that
> on my system. Is it a download, or part of a particular unix
> distribution...? Is there another mmencode-like tool I can get/use for
> Solaris?

	Can't help ya here.  I know Linux has mmencode, not sure
	where to get it for Solaris.

-Tim