DNS Administration Automation

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Thu Aug 2 10:30:46 UTC 2001

Kevin wrote:
> And what if the database gets out of synch with what's
> in DNS (shouldn't be an issue if you use BIND 9's
> capability of loading zone data directly from a backend
> database, but it's a big issue if you use BIND 8 or
> anything other than the standard mechanism for getting
> BIND to load from a database)? I see no reason why a
> separate database should be necessary

Kevin,
I'd assumed (never a good idea I guess) that you did use a backend database
for your scheme, and I'd been meaning to fire off a mail to you asking that
very question, how do you verify the consistency of the DNS vs the database
and rebuild if required?  Now clearly you don't, but then your master data
is the DNS itself, so how do you backup correctly, or is it a stealth
master which you just take off-line for backups?
rgds
Marc TXK