MX Record question...

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 21:17:24 UTC 2001

meliorasf wrote:

> This must be a recommendation and not a rule, as I have had an MX record
> pointing to an IP address (which I will now change) working fine for
> several months.

RFC1035 specifies that MX records point to, and it isn't IP
addresses.

That it may work doesn't mean it is standard conforming.

Merely the mail transport agent is able to compensate for bad
data.

Some mail transport agents may not cope with your incorrect
configuration, but still correctly adhere to all recognised
Internet standards. Okay most cope with this one fine, but I'd
fix it just in case.