different between DNS NT and DNS UNIX

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Aug 6 14:34:34 UTC 2001

Len Conrad wrote:

> >I wonder if there is any different between mechanic of DNS for win NT
> >and mechanic of BIND 9 (DNS for UNIX) in implement dynamic update.
>
> for the updating, no

There are differences between the way that W2K DNS does it and how
BIND does it.  The results are almost, but not quite, the same.  You need to
study W2K's update mechanism to understand the differences.

> >Can you explaint for me how DNS for WIn NT implement dynamic update, and
> >how BIND9 implement dynamic update and the difference between them
>
> Both BIND8 and BIND9 plus W2K implement dynamic updates per the RFC´s, so
> you should be reading the RFC´s as "DNS design specifications".

W2K's DNS does NOT follow all of the RFC's (particularly RFC 2136) in
all cases.  See the archives for details.

> The BIND and W2K security features to protect dynamic updates differ in
> that BIND supports TSIG and W2K has a proprietary, or at least not publicly
> documented (I think that point has or will soon changed), equivalent technique.

What documentation that has been publically made available has, so far, been
insufficient for non-Microsoft developers to implement.

    Danny