BIND doesnt answer from time to time

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 16:25:01 UTC 2001

Alexander Gudenus wrote:

> I m using Bind 8.2.4-REL. my problem is that sometimes it doesnt
> answer queries, but I cant reproduce the error, because it hasnt
> happend to me so far (i only heard of it). AFAIK the problem occurs
> only at certain access providers.

Hmm not answering as expected for certain names.... Maybe
problematic delegations?

The lan24.com delegation looks good (Although I wish I could say
the same for my accessing the gtld-servers, never seen so many
errors on one quick test.... is this worm damage, or just my
ISP? I couldn't reach internetpulse.com)

Hmm one of the lan24.com MX records points to a CNAME, could
cause some problems, is this with regard to mail that you have
problems? It might vary with different MTAs.

Zone transfer is allowed from ns1.medacad.org, we'll assume you
allowed this whilst we sort out your problems *8-)

>         category lame-servers { null; };

I'd lose this, and face the real sad state of other people's DNS
configurations.

You could always file it elsewhere, and have a good laugh
occaisonally at who gets it wrong, you'd be surprised.

	Simon

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768