bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at web.de
Tue Aug 7 05:38:46 UTC 2001

Hi Brad.

> >  Question: is it possible to limit the amount of memory that
> >  this used to cache queries in this case? If not, what is the
> >  maximum amount of memory that will be used (if this can be told)?
>         No, BIND 8 does not have the ability to limit the amount of
> memory that it will use.  If you try to use OS mechanisms to enforce
> limits, that will simply cause BIND 8 to crash.
[...]
>         Generally speaking, as incredibly cheap as RAM is these days,
> you're much, much better off just getting more RAM for the server and
> letting it take as much memory as it wants/needs.

The problem is: we are talking about some kind of "embedded" device.
Well, it's not one of these hardcore embedded devices with 2 MB Ram. We
actually have 32 MB. But there is no swap space available as the device
boots from a read-only mounted flash. If bind catches all available
memory for its caching this will cause problems for other tasks (the
routing protocol daemons for example, zebra is running there).

This is why I want to limit the memory usage, even if it would be useful
to give bind as much memory as possible.

>         However, if you absolutely, positively must have this feature,
> then you should consider upgrading to the latest beta version of BIND
> 9.2.0.

When I last tried to compile bind 9, it was terribly much bigger than
bind 8. Is there a way to reduce its executable size footprint as well?

Bye, Mike