MS DNS Registration Issue

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Tue Aug 7 18:21:55 UTC 2001

>The status:
>Main DNS server Running BIND.
>controlling abc.edu

you mean BIND is primary master (SOA NS) for abc.edu?

abc.edu  SOA bindns.abc.edu mail.abc.edu (1 2 3 4 5)

>BIND Delegation to MS DNS for def.abc.edu

it helps if you speak DNS

in abc.edu zone file:

def.abc.edu  NS   W2KDNS.def.abc.edu

>One of the DC/GC in def.abc.edu is trying to register
>some records in MS DNS(Auth. for def.abc.edu).

ok

>Since MSDNS is only Authoritative for def.abc.edu. My
>understanding is that it will not accept these records
>registration until it is authoritative to abc.edu too.

my understanding. Updates for abc.edu will only go the NS in the SOA record
for abc.edu zone.

>So Is there any way I could forward these record
>registration of BIND, as I have allowed "_" in BIND.

errant updates received by  by zone slaves are forwarded to the zone
master.  W2KDNS.def.abc.edu is not/cannot be a slave for abc.edu. ie, it
can´t be both a child zone of abc.edu and an AUTH NS for abc.edu.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways