TCP/UDP for queries in BIND

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 7 22:05:21 UTC 2001

Vaishali Paithankar Sadaphal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read in the RFC that the DNS should be able to send/accept queries on
> both UCP and TCP connections but it is recommended that UDP be used for
> queries and TCP for zone transfers.
>
> I wished to know if there was any option to be set in BIND so that
> the queries could be sent either on UDP or TCP connections.

The only queries that named *sends* are queries to other nameservers. I'm
not sure what the value would be of forcing those queries to use TCP.

If you're talking about queries sent from a stub resolver to a nameserver,
then it's up to the resolver whether it uses TCP or UDP. This really has
nothing to do with BIND.