Forwarders or the wildCard

Danie I. danie62k01 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 09:26:02 UTC 2001

Hello Barry,
Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Direct individual entries for each of subdomains
pointing to an NS is good way, but I have some
limitations on number of entries that I can create at
worldwidedns.Net  as I am using their service.

I shall appreciate if there is an alternative
competitive service for unlimited number of entries in
the zone? (secure in transfers)

or a cheap place where I can install my own dns server
?
Infact, I am a Newbie, perhaps.

Any advice or help please?

Regrds
Danie

<danie62k01 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >Hi there, I need some help.
> >
> >I have setup my subdomains entries as:
> >
> >subdomain1.domain.com.  IN NS  ns1.anotherDNS.com.
> >                        IN NS  ns2.anotherDNS.com.
> >subdomain2.domain.com.  IN NS  ns1.anotherDNS.com.
> >                        IN NS  ns2.anotherDNS.com.
> >
> >Now to continue adding delegation of  more
subdomains  to
> >anotherDNS.com , may I add following:
> >
> >*.domain.com.  IN NS ns1.anotherDNS.com.
> >               IN NS ns2.antoherDNS.com.
>
> I don't think wildcarding works for delegations.
>
> >OR the FORWARDERS would be better?
>
> Forwarders can't be used in place of delegations,
because your server will
> answer non-authoritatively after it caches the
response.

> You should just keep adding NS records for all the
subdomains.

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
> Genuity, Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME,
post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it
wasn't posted to the group.