bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 12:29:54 UTC 2001

Michael Renzmann wrote:

> Currently, many customers have many clients in their network.
> Each client has the ISP dns configured. Now the IP of the DNS
> have to be changed. In order to avoid problems like this the
> router should be the institution that answers to every dns
> query.

That's definitely what DHCP is for, not the routing device, of
course if the routing device supplies DHCP for the network....

I guess you could try something fancy in the gateway redirecting
packets. But if a client points it's DNS queries at a particular
server, I'd really expect any gateway device to let that happen
(once it's agreed to allow DNS queries through the firewall).

You might look at a DHCP relay agent as an option - so that
clients who don't do their own DHCP/DNS can have a centralised
service from you via the gateway. There is an RFC defined DHCP
relay functionality.