Server not resolving a domain...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 8 14:49:56 UTC 2001

In article <9krdfq$enu at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Ali Eghtessadi  <ali at BabcockBrown.com> wrote:
>==== db.ny.babcock =====
>
> ny.babcockbrown.com.       IN      SOA     ashbury.babcockbrown.com.
>hostmaster.babcockbrown.com (
>                 2001080800      ; Serial
>                 14400   ; Refresh every 4 hours
>                 7200    ; Retry after 2 hours
>                 604800  ; Expire after 1 week
>                 86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day

The problem is the space at the beginning of the SOA line.  If a line
starts with whitespace, it's taken to be a continuation of the previous
line.  I'm not sure what that does when it's the first line of the file,
but apparently it prevents the zone file from loading properly.

I'm quite surprised that it did this without putting anything in the log,
though.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA