can we promote a SLAVE to be a new MASTER ?

Waltner, Steve swaltner at lsil.com
Wed Aug 8 20:16:17 UTC 2001

I am working on a web based dynamic DNS update system. It's just a perl
script using the Net::DNS perl module that sends DNS update packets to the
master server for our domain. One function that I wrote was to dump the
current database into a human readable form. The copies of a zone on your
secondary servers and on the master server if your are using DNS updates, is
sorted in the order that BIND loads it in memory, not something usable like
by IP. The routine does a zone transfer and then sorts the zone based on
following order:

SOA record
NS records
CNAME records that point out of the current zone
other records without an associated A record
A records (sorted by IP address, any other records with same DNS name
printed together, CNAME records that point to a local address are printed
after the address they point to)
CNAME records that point to our zone, but the target doesn't exist (likely
stale records)

This process takes about 1 minute for a zone with 10,000 records in it. Drop
me an e-mail if you are interested in the script.

Steve