TCP/UDP for queries in BIND

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 8 22:32:10 UTC 2001

In article <9ksdol$ndi at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <9kpq11$qr at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
>> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>> >If you're talking about queries sent from a stub resolver to a nameserver,
>> >then it's up to the resolver whether it uses TCP or UDP. This really has
>> >nothing to do with BIND.
>>
>> BIND consists of both a resolver and a server.  Most Unix systems'
>> resolvers are derived from the BIND resolver.
>
>Sure, but the choice of whether to use UDP or TCP for a given query is
>part of the
>resolver API. It's not a BIND-specific "option" as the original question was
>framed.

But that doesn't mean it has "nothing to do with BIND".  From the context
of your message, you seemed to be equating BIND with named.

Conceivably, the BIND resolver could have an option in /etc/resolv.conf
that controlled the protocol it uses to send queries.  It doesn't happen to
have such an option, but that's just because no one felt like implementing
it; there's nothing in the BIND architecture that precludes it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA