refresh_callback: zone , after bind9 upgrade

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Aug 9 00:46:49 UTC 2001

> In article <9ksdgl$nci at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:
> >	The re-write had to do more with code managability and
> >	correctness of operation, new protocol features, IPv6
> >	support.  Clearer error messages was further down the list.
> >	I think we have actually achieved the primary goals of the
> >	BIND 9 re-write.
>
> But you were rewording the error messages anyway.  It shouldn't take any
> more effort to make them understandable in the process.  On the contrary,
> it seems to me like you took pains to make them even more inscrutable than
> BIND 8's.

	Barry we were not "re-wording" the error messages.  We were
	re-writing from scratch that included adding code to emit
	error messages where appropriate.  Our primary goal was to
	make sure that anything that stop named performing its job
	emitted a error message.  Informational messages fell by the
	way side.

	We have tried to keep the error messages stable in 9.1.x
	so that scripts could process them without having to be
	changed for each bug fix release.

	We have improved the error reporting in 9.2.x and if you
	have specific problems with error messages in 9.2.x there
	is still time to get things changed prior to the 9.2.0
	release.  At which stage additional changes will go into
	9.3.x.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.