TCP/UDP for queries in BIND

Vaishali Paithankar Sadaphal vaishali at iitd.ernet.in
Thu Aug 9 04:02:23 UTC 2001

So I assume that both Resolver and the Name Server send queries with
TCP only if earlier it had sent one with UDP and the response did not
fit into one packet.

But either in Name Server or in Resolver, there is no option to set it in
TCP from beginning.

There is no point in using TCP because Resolver/Name Server works only on
Queries and Responses.

Is their any other reason for using UDP and not using TCP ?
Doesn't it need reliability of TCP?
Someone was telling me that the TCP packets are given a higher priority on
the network.

Thanks

Vaishali