Can only register 1 seconday with Network Solutions now

Greg Winkler Greg_Winkler at huntsman.com
Thu Aug 9 17:59:51 UTC 2001

I was trying to modify a new .com domain that we registered earlier this
year. This was via the "make changes" page at www.networksolutons.com. The
web screens only allow for entry of a primary dns and 1 secondary dns. I
found this odd, because for many of my other domains I am able to supply up
to 4 secondary DNS servers. I phoned the network  solutions help desk and
was informed that they (networksolutions) have a new system in place for
recently registered domains and under this "new" system they are not
providing an option to register more than 2 name servers. I complained to a
supervisor and they agreed to manually make the change I requested via
their
engineering group.

Soapbox(On);

I don't think it unreasonable to be able to maintain multiple secondary
servers. In my case I have a primary and secondary on my network, and a
third off-network at my ISP.

Per networksolutions, this policy will be retroactive to all domains
registered through them (.com, .net, .org) when the management of those
domains is transferred to this new system in the future. So this issue will
affect you in the days to come.

Is it just me or does this seem an asinine policy?

Soapbox(Off);

Greg Winkler
Systems Manager, IT&S
Huntsman Corporation