Reverse lookup NS or Sendmail

Will Yadley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Mon Aug 13 23:31:53 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:
> Ted Stephens  <tls at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> >I have a name server, and a sendmail server on the same box. Should I
> >reverse map the name server or the sendmail server? Or should I add
> >additional ip then map both of them?

> What do you mean?  DNS is about names and addresses, not roles.  If it's
> one box, it only needs one name.

> But if you want to give it two names (e.g. ns.company.com and
> smtp.company.com), it doesn't matter which one you put in the reverse DNS.
> Nothing typically performs reverse DNS on nameserver names, but mailserver
> names get put in "Received:" headers, so I recommend making the reverse DNS
> point to the mailserver name.

yes but some registries insist that a nameserver resolve in reverse.  in
general, we usually put the nameserver on a different IP than the machine's
main IP anyway; I'd suggest using a separate IP for both mail and DNS (from
the main machine IP) if possible, or at least a separate one for DNS.  Then
set the nameserver to listen just on the IP you chose for it and on
127.0.0.1.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!