CNAME as @ line

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 23:34:46 UTC 2001

Jerry wrote:

> Hm. The problem I am trying to solve is where i need
> to create some new zones with various mispellings of a
> company name.  I wanted each of those @ lines for the
> mispellings to point to a CNAME so that I could change
> the CNAME at a later point in time without having to
> change all the @ lines.  As it is now I hard coded it
> to an ip which sucks because if they request to change
> the ip of the webserver I have to edit all those files
> (20 or more sometimes).  Any ideas?

Use the same zone file for all the misspellings, and make sure
it doesn't have any fully qualified owners (BIND will soon
complain if it does).

DNAME records do something like what you want as well, but
sledge hammers and nuts spring suddenly to mind.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768